Areas of practice (for corporate clients)
Japanese・English・French・Chinese speaking countries
- Europe (French&English)
- Africa (French&English)
- North & Latin America (English)
- Middle East (English&French)
- Oceania (English)
- Asia (English, Chinese & Japanese)
Akasaka International Law, Patent & Accounting Office (“AILAW”) handles various kinds of corporate matters. Our strengths lie in utilizing our areas of expertise in addition to being multilingual with our staff consisting of native Japanese, English and French speakers.
We endeavour to solve many headaches for your company. Our core pillars of practice are general corporate matters such as company law, intellectual property law and labour law. However, we also collaborate with experts in other areas such as CPAs in order to provide complete services and client satisfaction. As a result, we have been able to expand our practice areas to the many domains below so that we can serve as a “one stop shop”. We believe that this structure is beneficial for companies wishing to enter from developed countries, but also with regards to entering developing economics such as in Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
We would be greatly appreciative if you could refer to the detailed list of our practice areas below and consider how we might assist your company.
INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL TRANSACTIONS
specializing in developing joint ventures between foreign international companies and Japanese companies, and advising on distributorship, licensing and other co-operative agreements
establishing foreign business entities, including new companies, subsidiaries, branch and liaison offices in Japan, commercial registration, advising on tax consequences of various business entities, and general corporate and business matters
LITIGATION AND ARBITRATION
specializing in civil and criminal court matters and in arbitration both within Japan and abroad
INDUSTRIAL AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
advising on patents, utility models, industrial designs, and trademark law, including application and registration procedures, infringement and opposition litigation, advising on copyrights
advising on negotiation and drafting of domestic and international agreements, joint ventures, and distribution and licensing agreements
including all aspects of foreign and domestic real property acquisition, leasing, financing, subdivision and development
specializing in visa applications and other immigration matters in relation to Japan, the United States, France and other countries
including commercial and individual liquidation, rehabilitation and reorganization
FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT SERVICES
including corporate accounting and auditing, corporate and individual tax, and financial management and planning
Our legal services for individuals
We also devote our energy to providing legal services to individuals. Our office is conveniently located one floor beneath the Kyobashi Public Notary. This allows us to efficiently prepare several kinds of notarized deeds. If you need our help, please do not hesitate to contact us.
In typical cases, it is rare to be asked to prepare notarized deeds. With accumulated know-how and boilerplates in different languages (English and French etc.) that our firm has developed, we can assist you via the high-quality contract drafting.
Real Estate Transaction Agreements
- Preparing sales agreements for real estates and movables etc.
- Preparing lease agreements for land and buildings etc.
Continuous Transaction Agreements
- Preparing loan agreements etc.
- Preparing installment sales agreements etc.
- Preparing agreements on residential construction contracts.
- Preparing agreements for out-of-court settlements etc.
Wills, voluntary guardianship, consent on divorce.
- Voluntary guardianship agreements etc.
- Divorce settlement agreements, and child-support agreements etc.
Examples of Past Matters
- Court settlement of franchise dispute resulting in 1700 million yen worth of compensation (Africa)
- License agreement of government and public initiatives (Africa)
- Recovery of 600 million yen worth of debt (U.S)
- Succession (including appointment of Guardian for deceased’s dependents) (France)
- Settlement of multi-national civil litigation (Japan, France and three other countries)
- Administration of more than 2000 personal effects of the deceased painter Léonard Tsuguharu Foujita and contracts for establishing the Foujita Art Gallery (France)
- Protection of world-renown brands by taking action against fake brands and anti-competitive practices (France)
- License agreements and dispute settlement regarding the use of Tour d’Argent trademark (France)
- Set up of a bank branch in France
- Contracts between Japanese national university and French national university
- Successful litigation of the Anne of Green Gable trademark in Japan for the Prince of Wales state government (Canada)
- Settlement of civil litigation regarding 4000 million yen involving major automobile company (Germany)
- Court conciliation of 4000 million yen worth of real estate (Cambodia)