Attorneys and Other Professionals
AILAW is made up of a team of attorneys and other professionals:
Shinji SUMIDA Attorney, Patent Attorney and Managing Partner
Mr. Shinji SUMIDA was admitted as an attorney in Japan in 2003. He graduated from Waseda University in 1999 and joined Akasaka International Law, Patent and Accounting Office as a partner upon being admitted as an attorney. Following this, he entered the Gould School of Law at the University of Southern California. After graduating in 2006 with a Master of Laws, he completed an internship at Barg Coffin Lewis & Trapp LLP in San Francisco.
In 2011, Mr. SUMIDA completed a training course of the Paris Bar Association and became managing partner of Akasaka International Law, Patent and Accounting Office in 2012. In 2022, he completed Wharton’s Executive Compensation program at the University of Pennsylvania.
He has a broad range of experience assisting in international business transactions, including M&A, and is also specializes in general corporate law including: company law, intellectual property law and labor law, as well as issues associated with in-bound and out-bound investment. He also has extensive experience with international succession cases.
- Japanese, English, French
- 「An article on the legal aspects of corporate restructuring and reduction of employees in Japan」(website of Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Japan『Monthly Newsletter point juridique』July 10, 2009) (in French)
- 「Public-private partnerships in Japan, the case of local communities」(website of Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Japan『Monthly Newsletter point juridique』April 14, 2010) (in French)
- 「General outline (1) of Uniform Act on Commercial Companies and the Economic Interest Group in OHADA (Organisation for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa)」 (『Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law 』Vol.41, No.10 2013) (in Japanese)
- 「Environmental Law CSR Management through a Legal Violation Case Study Remarks on Waste Storage by Corporations – Citation of an open-air yard case」(『Kankyo Kanri』 Vol.39, No.6 2013) (in Japanese)
- 「Legal Remarks on Shale Gas」『Kankyo Kanri』Vol.50, No.12 2014 (in Japanese)
- 「General outline (2) of Uniform Act on Commercial Companies and the Economic Interest Group in OHADA (Organisation for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa)」 (『Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law 』Vol.42, No.9 2014) (in Japanese)
- 「General outline (3) of Uniform Act on Commercial Companies and the Economic Interest Group in OHADA (Organisation for the Harmonization of Business Law in Africa)」 (『Journal of the Japanese Institute of International Business Law 』Vol.42, No.12 2014) (in Japanese)
- 「The Global Fight against Trademark Trolls: Using Japan’s Trademark Protection System to Prevent Bad Faith Applications for Famous Abbreviations Arising from Famous Trademarks」（『A.I.P.P.I』Vol.39 No.1 2014） (in English)
- 「Lettre du Japon：L’utilisation du système japonais de protection des marques pour prévenir le dépôt mal intentionné d’abréviations dérivées des marques célèbres」（Title：「Letter from Japan: Use of the Japanese Trademark Protection System to Prevent Misleading Use of Abbreviations Derived from Famous Trademarks（「Revue Propriétés intellectuelles」Januaray 2015 N° 54）
- 「Roadmap into Africa」（「Business Legal Affairs」September 2015 Vol.15 No.11 CHUOKEIZAI-SHA, Inc.)
- 「Africa Business and Legal Affairs」(Japanese)（CHUOKEIZAI-SHA, Inc.）Co-authored with Takuya Kinjo No.1 Best Seller on Amazon for the month of August 2017 in the category of “Finance of other countries”
- “Japanese Unfair Competition Prevention Act” at the Manufactured Imports and Investment Promotion Organization (in Japanese)
- “Legal Issues Related To Resources development in the sea around Japan such as methane hydrate and Project Finance ~in light of the lessons learned from oversea shale gas development” at the FN Holding (in Japanese)
- “Entry and exit developing countries, management of overseas subsidiary and environmental risks” at the “Corporate governance and environmental risks from now” Seminar held by Japan CSR Promotion Association (in Japanese)
- “Corporate Social Responsibility: Entering, Managing and Withdrawing from Emerging Countries” at the Japan CSR Promotion Association (in Japanese)
- “Africa Business and Legal Affairs” at the FN Holding Seminar (No. 3137) (in Japanese)
- “Legal strategies in the Singularity Era” at FN Holdings Seminar (in Japanese)
- “Unfair Competition Prevention Act” at the MIPRO Intellectual Property Rights Seminar (in Japanese)
- “Legal strategies in the Singularity Era” at the Business Research Institute (in Japanese)
- “Artificial Intelligence and the Legal Profession” at the Samurai Incubate Inc. (in Japanese)
- Interview「Beyond the lawyer label！International lawyer in Japan and Africa」
- Former director of the Society of Foreign Ministry Personnel (From June 2011 until July 2018)
- Special counsel of the Japan CSR Promotion Association
- Committee member of Specialist Committee on Environmental Laws
- Attorney certified for Support Agency for Business Innovation
- Auditor of Japan Côte d’Ivoire Friendship Association (Since October 2015)
- Mentor of BusiNest (part of Small & Medium Enterprises College)
- Advisor of international development for Small & Medium enterprises of Tokyo Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Director of Overseas Security & Crisis Management Association (Since June 2017)
- Statutory Auditor of BeeX Inc. (Since June 2019)
Websites related to Shinji SUMIDA
- VENTURE IN JAPAN：Personal Blog of Shinji SUMIDA (in English)
- アフリカ情報交換会：Personal blog of Shinji SUMIDA regarding African Venture (in Japanese)
- Africa Business Community in Japan：Shinji SUMIDA contributes articles to the AB-NET website regarding Kenya and Ivory Coast (in Japanese)
- Additional information and links to documents for your reference: https://ailaw.co.jp/en/8922-2/
Masahiko SUMIDA Attorney/Adviser
Mr. Masahiko SUMIDA has enjoyed a broad career spanning over 45 years in both the diplomatic and legal fields. After graduating from the Faculty of Law at Waseda University, he entered the Japanese Foreign Ministry and shortly thereafter was posted to the Japanese Embassy in Paris in 1969. After returning to work in Tokyo, he was admitted as an attorney in 1981. He began his legal career at Tokyo Aoyama Law Office (which is affiliated with Baker & McKenzie), but by 1984, having been admitted as a patent attorney, established SUMIDA INTERNATIONAL LAW & PATENT OFFICE.
His career highlights include:
- Successfully representing the Canadian Province of Prince Edward Island regarding the Anne of Green Gables trademark, and obtaining a favorable precedent-setting judgment in the Tokyo Intellectual Property High Court in 2006;
- Executing the will of renowned Japanese artist Léonard Foujita, notably by helping to donate his works to a museum in Reims, France.
Amongst his broad experience and expertise, he currently specializes in International Arbitration (ICC).
- Japanese, English, French
- “Droit International de l’homme d’affaires 1994” Publisher Editions Dalloz
- “Francis Lefebvre International Law Series – Japan Business Law”, Lefebvre Publishing (France); December 1995 (in French)
- “Legal aspects of doing business in Japan” at the Quebec-Japan Business Forum (in French)
- “Contracts” dispatched to Paris, France by Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan as a part of the project “the Japanese year in France” (in French）
- “Can western legal mind change Japanese culture ”at the Law School of Keio University (in Japanese)
- “Experience as International Lawyer Representing an Internationally Renowned Artist” at the Tokyo Leadership Forum held at the (in Japanese)
Current official positions
- Honorary President of the Kiyoko Goto and Paul Bourdarie Cancer Foundation.
- Former Director of the Japan-Algeria Association. (until 2019)
- Auditor of the Japan-France Media Exchange Association (TMF).
- Member of the Committee on International Relations of the Japan Bar Association.
Websites related to Masahiko SUMIDA or mentioning him
- Chambre de Commerce et d’Industrie Française au Japon: an article introducing Masahiko SUMIDA published by the Japan France Chamber of Commerce and Industry website (in French).
- Kiyoko Goto and Paul Bourdarie Cancer Foundation：Masahiko SUMIDA acts as Honorary President.
- Introduction of Masahiko SUMIDA, partner of Akasaka International Law, Patent & Accounting Office, Bengoshi.com, December 6 2011.
- Foujita Foundation – Masahiko Sumida attended the inauguration of this foundation as the executor of Mr. Foujita’s estate.
Motohiko SUZUKI Administrative Scrivener (Entrust)
Mr. Motohiko SUZUKI is a licensed Administrative Scrivener. Since graduating from the Legal Department of Chuo University, he has amassed impressive expertise and experience over a career of nearly 40 years.
Hayato ISHIYAMA Labor and Social Security Insurance Attorney (Entrust)
Mr. Hayato ISHIYAMA is a licensed Labor and Social Security Insurance Attorney. He graduated from the Faculty of Commerce of Takasaki Economic University in 1968.
Keiichiro MAEDA Certified Public Accountant
Mr. Keiichiro MAEDA, a partner and co-founder of the firm, is a graduate of Waseda University and an experienced Certified Public Accountant, enjoying over 35 years experience in his field. He was first licensed as a CPA in 1980, after which he established an independent accounting practice. He then co-established Akasaka International Law, Patent & Accounting Office in 1986.
Ryoichi SUZUKI Certified Public Accountant
Mr. Ryoichi SUZUKI is a licensed Certified Public Attorney. Upon graduating from Hitotsubashi University, he joined Tohmatsu & Co., and later also gained experience in an affiliated office in Seattle. Mr. SUZUKI joined Akasaka International Law, Patent and Accounting Office in 1990.
Tadashi TAKAHASHI Certified Public Accountant
Mr. Tadashi TAKAHASHI, a graduate of Keio University, was formerly employed by Showa Kansa Hojin, Accountants, and later established an independent accounting practice. He joined this firm with over fifteen years of experience as a Certified Public Accountant.
Yuji MIURA Certified Public Accountant
Mr. Yuji MIURA is a Certified Public Accountant and graduate of Dokkyo University. He was also formerly a Certified Public Accountant with Arthur Young & Co., Accountants, where he was the manager of the Tax Division. Prior to entering this firm, Mr. Miura also held the post of General Accounting Manager of General Electric Japan. Mr. Miura specializes in the areas of international tax, accounting and financial management.